History of the Winni River Trail

  • Americans traveled between fishing grounds on Lake Winnipesaukee and the Merrimack River.
  • White settlers settled along the river for easy water access and good fishing.
  • The river powered industrial development in the late 1800 and early 1900’s.
  • A railroad was built along the river’s bank to carry freight between mills.

Upside Down Bridge

Built in 1896

  • Only existing example of Upside Down Covered Bridge in United States.
  • Registered as a National Historic Landmark.
  • Bridge has 3 spans with a total length of 231 feet.
  • Siding covering support structure has been removed.
  • Railroad used to provide passenger service to Old Station on Franklin Street and connection to Northern Line in W. Franklin.

Paper Mill Remains

  • Located upstream of Sulfite Bridge.
  • Fed the Warren F. Daniels pulp mill.


April 1999 – Public Hearing was held
  • Concerned citizens from 13 area communities discussed the possibility of a regional trail.
  • Following the meeting volunteers established a committee to develop a multi-use trail in Franklin, Tilton and Northfield.